Large diesel engines, such as those in Class 8 trucks, could last a million miles or even more as long as you keep up with preventative maintenance and diesel repairs. The diesel engines in pickup trucks generally last 300,000 to 500,000 miles, but could edge up toward that million-mile mark if the truck owner keeps to a strict preventative maintenance schedule.
Mevert Automotive & Tire Center in Steeleville IL provides diesel repair, including Cummins diesel repair and preventative maintenance. Contact the shop at (619) 965-9609 for an appointment for diesel repair or preventative maintenance. Mevert Automotive & Tire Center is conveniently located at 1014 West Broadway, Steeleville IL 62288.
Preventative Maintenance and DEF Maintenance
Diesel engines require preventative maintenance to keep them running properly. In addition to the regular preventative maintenance that you would expect, you must also ensure to keep the DEF system maintained, including cleaning the DEF filter.
Because diesel engines often idle for many hours, preventative maintenance is even more important. Whether you let your truck idle while loading or while between driving spurts at construction sites or while waiting to hook up a vehicle on a tow truck, diesel engines spend a lot of time at idle. While many people believe that idling isn’t putting a load on the engine so it doesn’t wear it out, the internal components are still moving at about 500 to 600 revolutions per minute. Idling a diesel engine for an hour is about the same as driving 30 miles.
When you are determining whether you need preventative maintenance, you can divide the number of miles on the odometer by the number of hours shown on the hour meter. Use that number instead of the actual number on the odometer to determine maintenance intervals by miles.
Preventative maintenance includes:
- Change the engine air filter.
- Change the cabin air filter.
- Change the fuel filters, especially if they have a lot of condensation in them.
- Change the transmission filter and flush the transmission fluid (automatics).
- Change the engine oil and filter.
- Clean the DEF filter.
- Check the belts and hoses and replace them as necessary.
- Check the brakes and replace them as necessary.
- Flush and replace the power steering fluid.
- Flush and replace the coolant.
- Flush and replace the brake fluid.
- Change the timing chain.
Keeping up with maintenance, especially fluid flushes and changes, can significantly increase the number of miles you’ll get on your diesel truck.
Diesel Repair Shop in Steeleville IL
When you need diesel repairs, it’s often hard to find Cummins diesel repair shops you can trust. Mevert Automotive and Tire Center in Steeleville IL works on Cummins, Powerstroke, and Duramax engines. When you need to get back on the road quickly, our certified diesel repair technicians can complete many jobs in one to two days and get you back on the road.
Some of the repairs we provide include:
- Steering and suspension, including shocks, struts, tie rods, axles, gearboxes, and more.
- Heating and air conditioning, including compressors, condensers, evaporator cores, high and low-pressure air conditioning lines, heater cores, driers / accumulators, fans, expansion blocks / orifice tubes and compressor clutches.
- Ignition issues, including ignition switches and glow plugs.
- Fuel system issues, including throttle bodies, fuel injectors, fuel pumps, fuel lines, filters and fuel rails.
- Starting and charging, including alternators, batteries, and starters.
- Engine diagnostics / check engine light / computers / sensors / senders.
- Electrical (wiring).
- Brakes, including pads, rotors, air lines, air tanks, and more.
- Tires, tire repairs, tire replacement, rotate and balance tires, alignments.
- Cooling system, including radiators, water pumps, radiator hoses, mechanical fans and fan clutches, electrical fans, thermostats and heater hoses.
- Trailers, including trailer lights and trailer brakes.
- Lighting systems, including running lights, headlights, taillights, and turn signals.
- Transmissions and shift linkages.
- Axles, front chunks and rear chunks.
When you need repairs, whether on a diesel pickup truck or a Class 8 vehicle, be sure to get your vehicle in as soon as possible. The sooner you do the repair, the less it will cause wear and tear on related components and the more miles you’ll get on your vehicle.
Contact Mevert Automotive and Tire Center in Steeleville IL
When you want to increase the possibility of getting hundreds of thousands of miles or even hit that million-mile mark, keep up with preventative maintenance and repairs. Mevert Automotive and Tire Center’s experienced auto technicians use quality parts and ensure the repairs are done correctly – the first time.
Contact the shop at (619) 965-9609 for an appointment for diesel repair or preventative maintenance. Mevert Automotive & Tire Center is conveniently located at 1014 West Broadway, Steeleville IL 62288.